Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Love In The Underground

My name is Michael Stapp, and I have been writing for quite some time. The Following poem is from my book Gravedust & Grace. Which can be found on Amazon by following the link above or at XLIBRIS when the link is working.


Love In The Underground

Like everyone else in the sardine car,
As I unaffectionately call it,
I ignore the smells of body odor mixed with
Those of urine and decaying food,
I’m not really paying any mind to anything whatsoever.
When, while looking out of a grease stained window,
I catch a glimpse of something.
The word love,
Written in bright red spray paint on the concrete wall.
And as people shuffle on and off the train I wonder
Just what is love.
A couple of stragglers run in right before the doors close.
And we are off again.
Only now,
Unlike my car-mates,
I am aware of my surroundings.
I look around seeking an answer,
Wondering; if any of these people; know what love is.
I first glance at the stragglers, a boy and girl of teenage years,
Their faces a veritable beehive of metal.
Their heads, even the girls, are shaven close,
With brightly dyed tufts in spots.
I watch them kiss,
The studs in their tongues flashing in primary colors,
And I wonder if they know what love is.
I turn my eyes away from the couple and spot a woman
Holding tightly to her young son’s hand.
And looking at them I wonder if they know what love is.
Could a young lad such as he, carry the secret to love?
The locomotive starts to slow again
And though I am still pondering love, it is my stop
And I must simply get off.
Rising up to the street, I am greeted by the sun.
I have to squint a bit until I am adjusted,
But that doesn’t put me off.
I can smell the java perking from the nearby coffee shop,
And the aromas drifting from the vendor’s carts.
Looking around I take in the world with all of my senses,
And I decide right then and there.
The feeling you get when you get off of the damned subway:
That is love.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I definitely need to buy your book, lol. I love how it moves from observations that cause the speaker to ponder one of the most evasive aspects of life, only to find his own answer which is not so philosophical or idealistic as many of the answers for this question tend to be.

    "Oh mirror in the sky, what is love? Can the child with my heart rise above? Can I sail through the changing ocean tides? Can I handle the seasons of my life? I don't know." ~ Stevie Nicks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a poetry person but I have liked this one since he wrote it, for some reason. I think I like the suggestion that all of those things are love, even though the character doesn't think so.

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful when commenting. All verbal attacks on another will be deleted by the moderator.