Tuesday, March 30, 2010

An essay on the subject of literary Katherines, part 1

I love stories. I've learned most of what I know of the world from books, and most of that from fiction. My behavior is still influenced by Little Women, my self-righteous flair comes from Ayn Rand, my sense of wonder from Neil Gaiman. Stories change people.

There is one character influencing my actions that I have a particular interest in right now. Her name is Katherine, too. She could not be called kind, but she is fair. She is intelligent and willful. She struggles against a fiery temper. Some say she is cold. Those people don't understand. Generally, she really needs to get laid. Pick one - any Katherine, Kate, Katrina or Cathy you wish. She will fit the description. I'll call her a trope. She won't like that - she prefers "demi-archetype" - but I don't think we know enough to say that.

As usual, Shakespeare gives the best example, in "Taming of the Shrew." Kate exhibits every Katherinesque quality possible. Her temper is unchecked, she verbally spars with the only other character whose intellect is worth ten cents, and her will is stronger than yours. For most of her life, no man is good enough, challenging enough, interesting enough. When she finds him, she stops being such a frigid bitch. "Taming of the Shrew" is the basic Katherine story. For years, I thought that is where it started, all these similar girls named Katherine in my stories. Stern librarians, horrible school principals, any number of spinsters, all named Katherine - this is Shakespeare's fault.

The bard and I, we were not on good terms. It isn't nice to call someone a bitch before they're even born.

Recently, I've begun to look further into the phenomenon...and I have decided that I am placing the blame on the wrong shoulders. I should have realized sooner. Shakespeare is not wonderful for writing new stories, he is wonderful for taking existing stories and characters and making them his own, giving them new life and depth. The difference between the Saxo Grammaticus Amelth and Shakespeare's Hamlet makes all the difference in the world. Shakespeare did not create Katherine, he gave her an Elizabethan overhall.

End of part 1


Part 2 to follow, if I find there will be enough interest. For a full, down and dirty, unrevised view of my research and the process, you can visit my blog.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Katherine, my Katherine! Don't ever question me on whether something is appropriate or good enough to post to Writer's Voice again! This is an awesome introduction to your research; it provides the background, your personal purpose, and it is far from the typical dry research paper. Having been a writing tutor at RIC, I have had the unfortunate experience of having to read such papers, along with the pleasure of meeting really interesting people that I learned a lot from as well, people like you but few that could match your innovative style. Please, post more when it becomes available, I want to read more, more!

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful when commenting. All verbal attacks on another will be deleted by the moderator.